Friday, January 8, 2010

Joy's Summer Menu


The idea for the Yam Daisy Cafe is to have a small menu each day, just 4 dishes made from delicious seasonal local produce. Read more here.

Summer Menu
It is hot in Melbourne this week so I am looking for light and fresh flavours. Here is the menu:

Soup: Tomato Brazil Nut Soup with Cheesy Balls
Main 1: Brazilian Dinner: Vegetarian Feijoada with Chili Lime Salsa, Tomato Rice, Steamed Greens and Orange to garnish.
Main 2: Tagliatelle with Arrabiata Sauce and Green Salad
Fruit Dessert: Mango and Cherry with Coconut Milk Sauce.

Soup: Tomato Brazil Nut Soup with Cheesy Balls
Apart from the lovely teaming of a Brazil Nut Soup with a Brazilian Main, I like the echo of Christmas here, because nuts have been a Christmas tradition in my family, and cracking the brazil nut was always the hardest!
Here is the Brazil Nut Soup Recipe:
http://www.veggiecooking.com/recipe6.html
I would love to serve these cheesy balls with it
http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/breads/r/paodequeijo.htm
But I don't know how easy the tapioca flour is to find. A similar little cheesy bread ball would be nice!

Main 1: Brazilian Dinner: Vegetarian Feijoada with Chili Lime Salsa, Tomato Rice, Steamed Greens and Orange to garnish.
Pictured!
This recipe came from my battered old "Recipes for a Small Planet" by Frances Moore Lappe.
It is quite involved, but each part is easy and it comes together beautifully.
This is how I did it:

Vegetarian Feijoada
Gently fry 1 large chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in a little oil until soft.
Add 1 cup of black beans that have been soaked over night, a bay leaf, and 3 cups of water. bring to the boil and boil 10 minutes with the lid off. Add a whole clean orange. Cook, or pressure cook, until the beans are half cooked.
Add 2 stalks celery, chopped, 1 tomato chopped, salt to taste and 1/4 tsp of pepper and cook til the beans are soft. Remove the orange and the bay leaf.

Rice
Gently fry a chopped onion and 3 minced cloves of garlic in oil and butter, til golden and really fragrant. Add 2 peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes and fry until quite dry and tasty. Take your time!
Then add 1 cup of brown rice, salt, and about 2 cups water. Stir, bring to the boil and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked, it takes about 40 minutes. Add a little boiling water if it gets too dry. Turn off and put a clean tea towel over the saucepan and the lid back on so that it soaks up the steam nicely.

Sauce/dressing/salsa
Juice of a big lemon or lime, 1 tsp salt, 1 chili, 1 tomato, lots of chives. Chop everything small or blend.

Greens
It should be steamed collards (not easily found here). I used cabbage, but it wasn't really good so next time I would use spinach or chard.

Serve the rice topped with beans, topped with salsa, greens on the side and orange segments to finish it off.

I am hoping to have tips and feedback from Brazilians!

Main 2: Tagliatelle with Arrabiata Sauce and Green Salad
Also pictured!
Here is my recipe for Arrabiata Sauce. It is my favourite at the moment!
Fry plenty of garlic in olive oil, don't let it brown.
Add diced, skinned tomatoes, salt, sugar and sliced chillies.
Cook slowly until thick.
Add basil leaves just before serving.

Fruit Dessert: Mango and Cherry with Coconut Milk Sauce.
Mangoes are lovely at the moment and cherries are still here! They look so beautiful together, gold and ruby with a little bit of sauce around them:
Coconut Milk Accompaniment
Combine coconut milk, a split vanilla bean, chopped fresh lemon grass and sugar to taste.
Bring to a simmer, remove from heat. Cool and refrigerate. Strain and serve.

What would you like at the YamDaisy cafe today?

23 comments:

  1. The tomato rice dish is exactly the one I love! Looks comforting, hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy...looks wonderful...and thanks for stopping by to visit....

    i'll be back soon, friend

    more later

    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I'd definitely be having that dessert! Unfortunately, it's hard to find good mangos here at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty. I used to go to a vegetarian lunch place in Brazil that would serve a veg version of feijoada. Many of our Brazilian friends could not understand this being just big meat eaters. Ha, ha! There were plenty of people in town that frequented the buffet though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Joy and Happy New Year! The tomato soup looks comforting and I wouldn't say 'No' to a dessert like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi JOY =)
    I truly believe its hot in melbourne as my friend there told me. This brazilian food which i saw in jme's blog is really exciting and looks yummy...

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joy...so happy you stopped ny to visit....

    I'll keep you posted on the fruit trees around here....

    I'll be back to visit soon

    more later,
    Kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That feijoada really won my heart as well as the rice! wow, gorgeous menus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joy,
    Do you live in Melborne, FL?
    I live in ORlando and we go there often. We visit the awesome zoo there...
    Do you have a place opened?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Joy,
    Every thing looks so good on your menu!!! -Tien :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these ingredients are so yummy !!! Here we're having a hot Summer, too and this menu is so perfect for this season of the year. I loved the recipes and the pictures, as well. They're so tasty that I could eat them from here !
    The vegetarian feijoada is really amazing and lighter than the traditional one. It's perfect for people who can't eat meat or fat food. Or even when we just want something different, nutritive and delicious !

    I wish you a wonderful 2010, dear friend, with all the great things God can allow you :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!I love all those Brazilian dishes.Delicious menu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally drooling over the arrabiatta sauce YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, dear friend !

    How is your day ? Well, I have an AWARD for you !!!
    Stop by my blog and grab it ;)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks wonderful!!!! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joy, love you name! Thank you for stopping by on on blog. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Blessings. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for commenting on my blog, your food always looks absolutely delicious and inspiring!!
    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great menu! I like mangoes in any dessert.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I forgot to add something about the pancake batter ratio. You should think of it in terms of ounces. 1 large egg = 2 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tomato brazil nut soup with cheesy balls???? I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Australia Day, dear friend !!!!

    http://www.australiaday.com.au/

    ReplyDelete