Friday, December 31, 2010

Chickpea Curry

Here is another delicious curry to share with you.
I have three Chickpea Curries I make often, and another couple to try if I fancy them!
In some ways this is the most inappropriate one to share because it includes ingredients like asafoetida, tamarind and chaat masala, that aren't so well known in the West. But O it is a delicious curry. The first time I made it I wrote 'Such yummy sauce!' beside the recipe in my book.

Also, this is the one I made recently, so I have a photo! And another good thing to share is that I froze half of it, and it defrosted and warmed up scrumptiously. This makes it precious in my household where there is only me to feed!

It is also good to consider what a treat it might be on a YamDaisy Menu, a delicious curry that you might not make yourself, but would be delighted to eat every time it is served at the YamDaisy Cafe.

CHANA MASALA (That pretty well means Chick Pea Curry!)

250g chickpeas, soak and cook, reserving liquid (= 2 cans of chickpeas)
2 tsp tamarind paste soaked in hot water and when cool put through a sieve to get a thick puree

Roughly chop and then blend to a paste:
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves,
2-3 cm fresh ginger
1 green chili
Now heat 2/3 cup of oil and gently fry the onion mixture until golden brown

Add
1 tbsp ground cumin,
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
a pinch of asafoetida
stir for a minute, and then take the pan off the heat and carefully add
2 tbsp of thick yoghurt,

1 tbsp garam masala,
stir until it is completely mixed in and then back on the heat gradually add
3 cups of reserved water from cooking the chickpeas (or just water!) and bring to a simmer

Add the tamarind paste,
the chickpeas
half a lemon (the whole thing, not just the juice!)
3 green chillies (also whole)
Simmer 30 minutes and remove the lemon. If the sauce isn't thick, keep simmering until it is.

Stir in
2 tsp chaat masala
1/4 tsp garam masala

I have adapted the recipe from a book called "Food of India" and this day I served it with rice, beans (a favourite lately!), chopped tomatoes and lots of fresh coriander. Absolutely delicious!

13 comments:

  1. Such a nice display!
    Happy New Year 2011 Joy full of Love and Health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou so much Therese, Best Happy New Year wishes to you!
    And to everyone else who visits here!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy. I am going to go and put some chick peas on to soak right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This makes it precious in my household where there is only me to feed!" I can relate to this statement :D I must give this chickpea a try :)

    Happy New Year Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2011 is going to be the year of curries for me. :) I have so many I want to try so I'm loving your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Loving the colours and all the veg!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love curries but not so keen on chickpeas, so I would have to substitute them with something else. It looks delicious though! Very best wishes for the new year!
    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!
    Not like chickpeas Lucy!!!! :o What is the world coming to!
    Just joking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore curries but have never tried my own. Maybe I'll give this a go in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love curries! This sounds divine. I just ordered some Indian spices from the Internet the other day as I couldn't find any in my local market. Can't wait to cook with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just now learning how to cook healthy and delicious meals. This looks great. I will have to try this one! My boyfriend also has a chronic illness and we are always looking out for healthy and delicious meals. Thank you for this blog. I know that I have never commented on your blog until now, but I have been following for a while. Love what you are doing, keep it up! :)

    (e

    ReplyDelete