Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ful Bit Tewm - Broad Beans in Garlic

Broad beans belong to a list of foods that I hated as a child, but that my mum loved. When I came to love the taste I felt truly grown up! (Coffee and mushrooms are on that list too.)

An extra treat that came with liking the taste of broad beans was the delight of growing them! They grow so quickly, and have such pretty flowers, and then such cute little pods! They were often my first harvest after winter, and especially loved for that. And that soft velvet inside the pods! So lovely!
They are one of the really seasonal foods for me. 

I do eat them smaller than my mum prefers them, she would let them get huge and blue grey. I like them small and tender, but I don't mind that earthy metallic taste of their skins. To me, that is what the flavour of broadbeans is all about.

Since living in my little flat I haven't been able to grow them, but my local greengrocer will sometimes have them fresh and crisp (I don't buy them otherwise) and it is with great pleasure I then make Ful Bit Tewm.

This is a recipe I found so long ago I have no idea of the book it was in, except that I remember it being the first recipe book I read that contained recipes from around the world unanglicised.... or not very much!

FUL BIT TEWM
900g fresh broad beans
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley (or coriander)
1 1/2 tsp of lemonjuice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
300ml water

Place all the ingredients into a sacuepan.
Mix well.
Bring to the boil.
Simmer until the beans are tender.

How easy is that!


This is my favourite way of eating broadbeans, the flavours come together perfectly.
I have written the recipe as I copied it originally, but I don't follow the quantities any more! I start with however many beans I have and add the lemon, garlic and parsley according to my fancy! It always works!

Ofcourse you could take the skins off the beans for a sweeter flavour and a greener look!

This makes a wonderful side dish, but  I ate them as a light lunch with cous cous and a little chopped salad with tomato and preserved lemon.
I thought it might be my only taste of them this year, but my sister just rang and said they are picking them in their veggie garden, so I just might get another dish of Ful Bit Tewm this year!




5 comments:

  1. Smiles. Guess I'm still not that grown up; I haven't acquired a taste for broad beans. Do like coffee and mushrooms though :)

    Hope your days are blesssed and joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy, Your broad beans in garlic look delicious and healthy. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Joy. Wishing you a healthy and wonderful 2012!
    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete